Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 6: Famous Last Words

(Image information: basically, this is my life right now; image from wikimedia)

I haven't been able to do one of these in a while because life has suddenly gotten so hectic, but I like keeping busy. The more I write for the class, the more I want to continue creative writing. In high school, I wrote a 300+ page ficton (YA fantasy) book for myself to see if I could do it. I didn't even tell my family while I was writing it! They just thought I was always on the computer doing homework or watching videos on youtube. I'm sure if I looked at it now I would laugh at my ability to write, but since it took me several years to finish the book, I can tell that my writing improved as a result. Hopefully that will be the case with this class. I am feeling more comfortable about finding things to write about, so it takes less time to do the projects.

This week I felt okay with my storytelling project. I love first person narrative and telling stories from the person's perspective, but I feel as if I've done a lot of my storytelling assignments that way. I'm excited for the Week 7 project, which I just wrote, which is third person. I took a little more liberty with the dialogue this time to see if I could alter it without changing the story too drastically. I think I'm happy with it, but I'm looking forward to reading any comments that it gets in order to continue improving my writing. All comments-- good and bad-- are welcome!

This week was no exception to how busy things have been lately. I even drank coffee to stay awake, which never happens to me. I could never handle the taste, but I learned there are a few drinks that I can tolerate. I'm not much of a tea or coffee person, but apparently, I might be now!

This week was also the first meeting of the group at OU for women who are pre-med (Pre-Medical  Women's Society). It can be a challenge to plan an event and then hope and pray people show up. We were very pleasantly surprised that a lot of girls came to hear our speakers, who were two amazing medical students at OU med school right now. It was really great to hear that medical school is doable and that you can still somewhat have a social life outside of school. I start medical school next year, so it was so comforting to hear them talk about their experiences. In the future, we hope to bring female doctors to talk about their experiences and what it's like to a woman in medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Hey AJ!

    It's so awesome that you love creative writing. I bet it really comes in handy. I am literally the worst at creative writing. I can form some sort of image or plot in my head, but it's so hard for me to make it come to life via my diction or imagery. I feel like I don't do my imagination justice. Haha.
    I came to the Intro Pre-Med Women's Meeting and it was awesome! I wish I could have make it to the first official one, but I had an Ochem lab lecture quiz and then had to drive to OKC for a prayer ceremony at my place of worship. I will definitely do my best to be at the next meeting! This is one of my favorite clubs and I really wish I had ran for Exec last year. It would have been fun to be on the same board! I'm glad the first meeting went well though. Hopefully the rest of the year goes smoothly. Good luck! See you around :)

    ReplyDelete