Saturday, September 6, 2014

Week 4: Storytelling Kaikeyi's Defense

(Image Information: Kaikeyi and Dasaratha, image from wikimedia commons)



I’ve always loved my husband; everyone knows that. I even saved his life once; I bravely rescued him and drove his own chariot to safety! I preserved his life in the heat of battle while risking my own life. Let no one forget that. He was the one who chose to grant me two requests. I gave him a beautiful son who adored him, my son, the rightful king.

What could I do when I heard that Rama would be king? At first, I was naively happy. I gave all of my servant girls presents to celebrate. I thought of Rama as my son. Although everyone had ever been nice to me, that doesn’t mean it could change! What if sweet Rama became drunk with power? What if his mother was elevated above myself and dear Sumitra? What if I were cast aside and my son would see his mother destitute? I couldn’t let such terrible things happen! 

My maid Manthara convinced me to use my two boons. Sure, she had always wanted to raise her status in court, but I believe she truly wanted the best for me. Rama had once teased her with a child’s arrow when he was young, and Manthara, having such an excellent memory, never forgot. She has always remained loyal to me. How could I not trust her? I didn’t think she would lead me to be one of the most hated people in the entire kingdom. 

How can I be blamed for wanting the best for my son?

Please know, I did love my husband.

I was in such anguish! I went to the appropriate room to vent. I mourned. I raged. I succumbed to defeat. I wanted to die. When Dasaratha finally came, I almost gave up my mission because of his tenderness. How could I ask such a thing from him? But I resolved to save myself and my son, and I asked him.

I will never forget the look on my husband’s face. In that moment, I knew I had lost his love and would never regain it. What had I done? But no, I could not turn back. Rama left, and everyone blamed me, even my dear son. 

I did love Rama, and I do not know why I was possessed by the idea. I am told it was fate, and I was simply carrying out what had to be done. But at what cost? I have lost the love of so many. My husband hated me, even in death.

I loved him. I really did. 

Author's Note: 
Kaikeyi made a huge mistake, but in this version of the Ramayana, she seems to be a puppet of fate and couldn't help her actions. She seemed very immature in the story, which I think was her downfall. Her most trusted adviser led her astray and ruined many parts of her life. I took on Kaikeyi's perspective, even though I disliked her character, and I think I understand her a little more because of it. She was very naive and a bit childishly selfish, and I hope that is appropriately portrayed here.

Bibliography:
Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.

4 comments:

  1. I liked your approach here, the great thing about the versions that we have read is that no matter how much detail and back story they add to the characters there is always room to add more to give readers a different perspective on the characters. I agree with you about not like this character, but after reading your version I found her to be a more sympathetic character and though you added all this detail to her you kept with the spirit of the story so that you were able to add to it without changing it, if that make sense. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it turns out we chose pretty much the same story to tell this week! Like you, I looked at the story from a more sympathetic perspective and tried to show Kaikeyi's side of things, but in a different way than you did. I think I have a tendency to always look for what goes unsaid in a story - what the other side of the story is. I like that you showed Kaikeyi as sympathetic, but also flawed -- human. There's a very tragic ending to this story too - Kaikeyi's realization of the terrible consequences of her actions - which I think earns Kaikeyi more sympathy, even though she acted wrongly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an interesting story to read! In both versions of the Ramayana I had not liked Kaikeyi for listening to her maleficent servant. BUT in your version I can see a different side of this story and start to understand her reasoning. She did love Rama and Dasartha and did not wish ill will on them, she was just preserving her own fate. She could have used her wishes to put Rama to death but she did not and this should be recognized. Also, I think fate had played out accordingly with this action parallel with the King's past tragedy. Great job in capturing her thoughts and emotions while telling the story of what she had done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this a fantastic story. I found myself actually feeling sorry for Kaikeyi rather than just straight up disliking her. The dialog that Kaikeyi had with herself and how she was fighting her conscience was a great addition to the story. I feel as though it truly helped get her point across that she was only trying to secure the best for her son.

    ReplyDelete