Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 7: Storytelling Bearer of Good News

(Image: Rama seated with Sita, fanned by Lakshmana, while Hanuman pays his respects, image from wikipedia)

Hanuman grinned to himself as he flew towards Ayodhya to the small village of Nandrigrama. His fur ruffled in the wind and he couldn't help but do a few flips and sharp turns. The people below looked in wonder as they saw a fluffy white object soaring near the clouds at incredible speeds. He giggled at their reactions and flew a bit lower to have fun with them by moving things around and tapping people on the shoulder before zooming up again. Yes, he was on a mission, but above all else, he was a monkey.

He tried practicing what he would say to Bharata, who was ruling Ayodhya in Rama's place. Should he hide and wait for the moment before Bharata would fulfill his promise to kill himself if Rama didn't show up? He could just pop out and save the day! But no, that seemed too cruel; it wouldn't work. Hanuman shook his head. He was a fast thinker. He could make his message up as he went. In the end, he would get his point across that Rama was coming back! He yelled for joy and flew faster.

When he finally arrived at the throne where Bharata and his men were sitting, it looked like a funeral had just happened! They were dressed as men in mourning, sitting around the throne. Hanuman had to fix that.

He dropped to earth like a furry comet and bounced so that the earth shook. The men startled as if they had been jolted awake. The stared at him, speechless. Hanuman stood calmly before them and took on a severe look on his face.

"I am Hanuman, the son of the Wind. Rama sent me here to talk to you. Is everything well in his kingdom?" he asked sternly.

The men bowed, and some wept for joy. Hanuman couldn't stay serious. He grinned, and Bharata stood up and came before Hanuman.

"I am so glad you have come, great monkey! I am Bharata, the brother of Rama. All is as well as it can be without our ruler. No one has dared take his place, and we have kept Rama's sandals on the throne all these years. Oh, Hanuman, we have been waiting so long for his return! Bless you for coming! I will give you cities, cows, and women. All for you, blessed messenger!"

Hanuman laughed. What would a monkey do with cities, cows, and women?

"Thanks for the offer, but no payment necessary! I serve Rama happily," Hanuman said.

His stomach rumbled. The journey hadn't been long and he had eaten before coming, but monkeys were always hungry.

"Actually, a few pieces of fruit and we'll call it good, okay?"

Bharata sent some of the men off to get wine and fruit. The others stood around awkwardly, staring at the monkey messenger who fell from the sky.

"Well, what are you standing around for, dressed in ratty clothes? Rama looks better than you do, and he's been in exile for years! Come on, your king is on his way! He'll be here tomorrow!"

Bharata nodded. "Of course, wise monkey! We will prepare the city for the return of our king! Come, men, throw away these clothes of waiting and put on ceremonial robes! Give your wives the most expensive jewelry! Give your children the best food! Give your servants new clothes! Let all of the provinces know that Rama is coming!"

Hanuman nodded to himself. That was more like it! Now, where was his fruit?

Author's Note: I really enjoy how cheeky Hanuman can be in this version of the Ramayana. I wanted to bring out more of his character through his interaction with Rama's brother, Bharata, when he is telling him that Rama is coming back. I liked how he is devoted to Rama and such a morally good character, but he is always open to having fun while serving his master. There was already humor in the interaction between Hanuman and Bharata, but I added more comedic elements to emphasize the funny bits.

Bibliography:
Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.

6 comments:

  1. I really love Hanuman’s character in Beck’s version as well. He’s definitely the star of the show for me. He’s an incredibly lively character and I think you really captured his essence in this retelling. I think I’ve done two of my Beck retellings over Hanuman because of his great personality and I think you did a really good job with his character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AJ,
    I love how sarcastic and saucy you made Hanuman out to be. I think that you portrayed his attitude and personality perfectly! I love how you started off with him flying in the air. The imagery helped me imagine Hanuman's trouble-making self just flying around and bothering people just to get a laugh out of them. Hanuman almost reminds me of Curious George. They're both super loyal to the their "owners" or in this case, people they work for. They have very sarcastic and trouble-making personalities, and they both are adorable little monkeys that just want to see everyone smile. Great job on your story this week! I definitely enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on your story this week! I really enjoyed your remake. You used lots of description and imagery so great job! You made Hanumans character out to be so saracastic! Adding humor to these stories is always such a great touch. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abigail, I enjoyed reading your story this week! You did a great job with Hanuman's character and how you made him out to be! I must say you chose a great scene to work with and you did describe the whole idea perfectly. I also loved the picture you chose it’s a classic picture and describes the love of Rama in the picture definitely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your story, Abigail. You made Hanuman come to life with your descriptive language. It was really a clear picture in my head as I read your story. I really like humorous twists to these classic stories. Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this story! I did not consider writing about the scene between Hanuman and Bharata, and so I love that you chose this! I think it is very creative. You are right about the absurdity of Bharata offering Hanuman cities, cows, and women. I am glad you pointed that out. it made me laugh a bit. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete